Thursday, May 22, 2008

Class Equality

I’ve got such a blog back log with all these entries I’ve been meaning to post but haven’t got a chance to do so. Anyway, here’s a quick update, since my business trip to Madrid, It was back to work for three days and then off to HK with Alicia for the long weekend (will post on that later) and the back to work and for this weekend, Alicia and I will be going to watch the Dora show!

Lots of attention for Alicia anyway, probably trying to make up for the guilt of leaving her and Kayla for 10 days. Not that they were roughing it out mind you, sounded like they were having a ball in Moranbah with the grandparents.

So what’s been happening on the Kayla front? Like most other second born kids, she’s been relatively neglected on the stimulation front. She’s now 7 and a half months old and when Alicia was at that age, she was practically a baby enrichment class aficionado, having tried Kindermusik, Gymboree, Growing up Gifted (at 8 months) and was going to embark on Julia Gabriel’s Chinese playgroup and The Shichida Method.

I’m trying to tell myself it’s not just the novelty of the first born child but also the luxury of being a stay at home mum trying to find things to occupy her (and mine) time. I finally decided that it was time for more social interaction for Kayla as well and enrolled her in her first Gymboree session at the Marine Parade Central location.

The first lesson didn’t go down so well – with HFMD afoot (no pun intended ) and a long holiday inducing weekend, all the other kids couldn’t make it and they called to cancel the lesson 30 minutes before it started, only I didn’t get the call and showed up anyway.

I think they felt bad for me and suggested doing a 1:1 class with Kayla just to get her used to the class activities. So here she is in her first and very private lesson at Gymboree.


Meeting the school mascot, Gymbo the Clown, she wasn’t much a fan and started bawling.


Stimulating her tactile senses, straight to the mouth as usual.



She loved playing with the scarves though, wasn’t too excited about feeling the other textures at this point.



Learning to balance.



Just 30 minutes into the 45 minute class, she got grumpy (it was time for milk and sleep) and I decided to stop. I think a 1:1 was just too intense for mummy as well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you got some great pictures of kayla there - esp. the last 2! I am SO behind in these enrichment class things. Being the lazy mum that I am I haven't done any research at all!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.