Thursday, April 24, 2008

Mummy's Girl

This is what happens when I walk by Kayla and don't pick her up.

When I emerge from the room and cross her line of vision, she watches intently, arms outstretched, chubby legs kicking furiously in anticipation and if I exit from her sight without a cuddle, she launches wholeheartedly into a full blown wail.

I know this is the cause because as soon as I come running back to pick her up, she reverts back to her usual cherubic self, bestowing me with her generous gummy smiles again.

Not that I don't appreciate the affection but what puzzles me is the level of attachment she has. With Alicia, it was understandable as I was a SAHM for a year, which meant 24/7 interaction.

With Kayla, it was pretty much back to work after maternity leave and even the breastfeeding bond was truncated as I relied more on the pump this time round.

I think this is one bub with a pretty high EQ - she instinctly knows who her mummy is (despite the maid being with her for most of the day). Either that or she's a big copycat, after observing how her jie jie interacts with me, she felt justified in getting her fair share of hugs too.

Either way, I'm not complaining. It's indescribably gratifying to have two people love you so unconditionally.

1 comment:

Selena said...

hey karen, nice reading your blog! i'm always in awe of mums who make the time to do this. such a nice thing to be able to look back on when the kids are a little older. your girls look really cute together. we should get together with the ladies again soon. take care :)